HOME       VOLUNTEER OVERSEAS       BLOGS

Tuesday 8 August 2017

Greetings from SiyaSiya




Muli Bwanji from Malawi!

SiyaSiya Dream Team in Action

This is the first blog from the SiyaSiya Dream team, the first ICS cohort to work in Salima, Malawi. Today we are going to talk about our experiences during the first weeks of our placement.


Salima is located in the central region of Malawi. The predominant character of SiyaSiya is the Chewa tradition and culture. As such Gule Wamkulu - loosely translated “The Big Dance”  - takes centre stage. During the reign of the Late Kamuzu Banda after parliament meetings, the Gule Wamkulu would be danced in different districts of the country in the month of July and the practice is continued to this day. Contrary to this fact however, the Gule Wamkulu continues to be danced every other month depending on the occasion, such as funerals (or even whenever they decide to!)

In Malawi it is customary for you to talk with the Traditional Authority and/or Chief when beginning project. By coincidence, the Traditional Authority of Khombedza had planned a meeting with over 800 local chiefs. This gave us a chance to introduce ourselves and let them know what we are doing in SiyaSiya.


Meeting the Chiefs


Amongst all the things we’ve learnt about SiyaSiya as a place, we’ve all gained a lot from living with our counterparts and living with our host families

Abbie (UK Volunteer): “I’m learning to be less uptight and a less of a control freak. I realise as well that you don’t have to know someone for years to be comfortable around them. I also appreciate water and home more.”

Adrian (UK Team Leader): “I’ve learnt that the social world here is very different and personal space is considered a strange concept. Also, because people come first here it can be difficult sometimes to stress the importance of deadlines but the atmosphere here is so friendly and warm, that people seem happier here because they take their time and enjoy life.”


Alice (ICV): “Our host mother has been so accommodating. I’ve learnt that it doesn’t matter what side of the world you come from, you can try to understand each other and get on.”

Bertha (ICV): “It’s not easy but it takes a while to adapt to a new environment and I’ve had many new experiences here, like it’s my first time being around people who aren’t religious and my first time going to a bar. Also I’ve never been around someone who works so fast (my counterpart, Charlotte).”

Beth (UKV): “From my host family I’ve learnt that it’s quite easy to adapt to the simple life. From my counterpart Esnart, I’ve began to understand how important religion is to some young people. I also have a better perspective on the world and how fortunate I am.”

Charlotte (UKV): “I’ve learnt how to live in a big family - which I’ve never had to do before - and how easy it is to feel welcome in a family you’ve never met before, and I’m very grateful for that. From my counterpart I’ve learnt a lot about Malawian politics, which is very interesting and makes me realise the political climate in the UK isn’t as bad as everyone perceives it to be.”

Davie (ICV):  “Living in a house with no power has been an experience but the family is very warm-hearted that sometimes it’s hard to know if they don’t like something you do. I’ve also been to different churches since being in SiyaSiya which has been very interesting.”

Esnart (ICV): “It’s been my first time living away from my family so that’s been new and a bit difficult but it has been easy to adapt. It was also my first time in a bar which was a new experience.”

Felix (ICV): “It’s very social here, there are always visitors in our host home and it was my first time being in a Living Waters (Pentecostal) church, which was quite fun.”

LLywelyn (UKV): “I’m surprised at how much my host family can eat! My host family are also giving me lessons in Chichewa and it’s quite an easy language so I’m picking it up quite quickly.”

Sky (Malawian Team Leader): “I’ve learnt a great deal from my host father, he’s a very passionate man and after hearing his life story I respect him even more now. He has inspired me a lot and I hope to do things as he does. I am now thankful for the things I have and respect my mother for she has done a lot things that I was unable to say thank you for. I’m also massively out of my comfort zone and I’ve learnt how to live in a simple village now.”

Zilah: (UKV): “From living with my host family, I feel like I know a lot about Malawian politics now and I think that we are luckier in the UK than we think. It makes me feel quite grateful for the political climate in the UK. I’ve also learnt to cope with the blackouts: the best thing to do is just to take a nap.”



                                                                                                                           

1 comment:

  1. What a great blog, gives a really good idea of what you are all doing. Great sharing of experience, will shape you all. Anne in UK

    ReplyDelete